Thanks Tom - I broadly agree with all that you've written. However, it seems to
be a matter of target marketing and market segmentation. I'd suggest that the
junior demographic would be more likely to be attracted to the 'thrill/danger'
aspect, whereas the older demographic could be attracted to other attributes of
the sport i.e. peaceful/serenity/low-stress etc. It seems to me we need to ask
all of the market segments how and why they go into the sport and what is
keepin them.

The most critical aspect to it all is, as you said 'As long as they do it in a
way that keeps them and the aircraft safe'. There is no doubt in my mind that
if the sport doesn't change how it attracts (and retains) member it will
continue to slowly die. I'm concerned about that so I spent a recent weekend at
the GFA Annual Marketing and Development meeting, and learned a considerable
amount (no life - just gliding!!). There is a wealth of information on the GFA
web-site to assist clubs.

The market that we are in has changed and we have so many more competitors and
choices (ultralight/hangies/jellyfish etc.) that a re-think is absolutely
necessary. The barriers to entry seem to be lower as people have higher
disposable incomes (generally). However, I'm a bit ambivalent about going down
the thrill/danger road and we would need to stay right on top of the
expectation management. And how much do we want to attract members at any cost?
From my experience the thrill-seekers don't stick around for very long and go
on to the next thrill. AEF's are typically regarded (wrongly) as a revenue
stream, rather than every one of them being an opportunity to sign up a new
member.

Are we really putting a realistic representation of the sport out there when
the AEF is done in the K-21 (the white shiny one), they ante up their
membership money and are then told their training is going to be done in the
30/40yr old trainer? That was my main gripe with the footage last night.

Regards,

Dave