Hi Mike;

I agree about the narrow basis of the report. The question is does
anybody know of a report that is in the context of glider safety?

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Mike Cleaver wrote:

> Let me tell you some facts about the report that Derek quotes:
>
> 1. It was about risks of mid-air collision at a GAAP aerodrome when
> the GAAP ATC service was operating - no other risks involved for
> gliders or anybody else, or anywhere else.
>
> 2. It was prompted by mid-air collisions at GAAP aerodromes
> (Archerfiled, Bankstown, Camden, Moorabbin, Parafiled and Jandakot
> only) in the past 10 years and hence is slewed by recent accidents (2
> at Bankstown, thus the risks there are assessed as "Intolerable").
>
> 3. According to the report, fitting every GA aircraft  at these
> aerodromes with FLARM for use as a traffic alert measure would give a
> positive cost-benefit of $11.7 million - the greatest positive
> outcome of all options canvassed.
>
> 4. The report did not seem to even mention the fact that Bankstown
> (the highest risk historically) has been reduced from 5 runways to
> just 1, and Moorabbin from 7 to 3, over the past 30 years.
>
> 5. The report shows that there were actually NO mid-air collisions at
> GAAP aerodromes between 1990-1999 when the traffic movements peaked,
> compared to 8 collisions from 1968 - 1978 (before GAAP procedures) ,
> 3 or 4 in the next 10-year period, and 6 from 2000 to 2008 after
> traffic levels, and service levels provided by Airservices Australia,
> had declined.
>
> 6. As an overall risk indicator for gliding the reports is useless; and
> finally
>
> 7. The Government / Minister / CASA Office of Airspace Management
> have announced plans to introduce changes that were different from
> those the consultants (Ambidji Group) recommended, and in many ways
> went quite contrary to the recommendations.
>
> So much for statistics when they are taken out of context! (and the
> same comment applies to the first 5 glider accident reports that DL
> quoted: 2 in Australia, 2 in New Zealand and 1 in Switzerland in the
> past 2 years. I thought we were discussing perceived risk in
> Australia last year.
>
> Wombat
>
> At 10:33 11/02/2010, Derek wrote:
>
> >There are some statistics in the following report.
> >
> ><http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/oar/download/gaap_report_v2.pdf>http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/oar/download/gaap_report_v2.pdf

Peter F Bradshaw: http://www.exadios.com (public keys avaliable there).
Personal site: http://personal.exadios.com
"I love truth, and the way the government still uses it occasionally to
 keep us guessing." - Sam Kekovich.