Totally agree about 6 seconds for speed to build up but disagree about radio
reliability.  In this day and age there is zero reason a radio in the glider
should not be as reliable as the home TV, the car radio of the wifi in the
house. I often operate in controlled airspace (D and C) and never a problem
- almost always 5 occasionally 4.

If you have a Microair playing up then I can tell you how to fix up 95% of
the microair problems over the phone and job will take 10 minutes and you
need no skills.  It is a matter of winding the little pots on the side of
radio back and forward many times and return to original spot and bingo the
radio bursts into life for the next 9 months.  It is 7 years since I sold a
Microair having chosen to sell Xcom which have no such pots - it is done in
software on the front face.  This method also works with Becker 3201
intercoms.

Ian McPhee
PS If you have one of those early boom mics of mine (9mmdia and goes floppy)
I will sort you out with a new one at a real good price. Have made over
2300mics so far and I do not want to hear of bad reports on those first 350
boom mics.