From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Mike
Borgelt
Sent: Friday, 11 June 2010 5:04 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Jet Powered Sailplanes Info

We discussed that project here the week before last.

Yes Bob Carlton will sell you an engine. I had a good look at one at
Avalon in 2009 when he had one on his Salto for this airshow routine
and talked with Bob for about 45 minutes.

Last I heard an engine was around USD42,000. The you need to do your
own retract or get Bob to do it for you which might cost another
USD25000 if he does it. You want to keep the engine horizontal while
retracted.

Jet sailplanes aren't new. Bob had the Silent with two AT450 engines
6 years ago and did the airshow circuit in the US with it, also Avalon in
2007.

That glider is a TST 14 Bonus. It is a 2 seat lightweight glider.
There is a TS110 also which looks like an ASW19 except for the tail.
The wing appears to be a Std Cirrus airfoil and planform except at
the tip. The TST 14 2 seater increases the span by adding one metre
each side at the root.

Mike

At 04:45 PM 11/06/2010, you wrote:

>Brilliant! Someone has finally done it.
>Does anyone know what the original glider was? Looks like a DG500 or
similar.
>The real question is can the engine & retract mechanism be bought
>separately to install in any other self launching or Turbo sailplane?
>ROSS

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since
1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784