>Anybody know the difference in price between a Ventus 2CXM and a 2CX currently?

I think you pay about €25,000 for a complete self launching Solo motor
+ instruments in a DG glider.

However, that's a certified installation. You could pick up a Rotax 2
stroke UL engine or a non certified and otherwise identical Solo for a
lot less, perhaps a quarter of this. That's what you need to compare
with the experimental or uncertified jet or electric motors.

I think it was Churchill who said, 2 strokes are the worst form of SLG
powerplant, except for the others that have been tried from time to
time.

I watched a 30 year old PIK self launch over the weekend with its
ancient Rotax 505. It did not have the climb rate of a modern SLG but
it would have used about 2 litres of fuel to get to soaring height
using a motor which any competent lawn mower mechanic could service.

On 20 litres of fuel, the modern 2 stroke SLG will fly about 5.5 km.
It takes about 5 minutes to "recharge" the tank. Normally another 20l
can be carried in wing tanks.

I'm undoubtedly wrong here, but all the current breed of electric
motors are going to be permanent magnet motors driven by some fancy
switching regulator and a set of high-tech batteries. I've had a bit
of experience with all three, but would not expect that any one of
these items would last beyond 5 years.

The magnets in the motor lose power over time, irrespective of the
type of magnet. The hotter they get, the more rapidly they lose power.
The electronics are highly stressed components… they're switching
what?.... 30, 40 KVA of power? The best model aero versions don't seem
to last longer than a year or two switching 1 or 2 KVA and in any
case, they're obsolete technology in 3 years. I don't need to mention
the batteries' life span, but any read of a model aero mag has some
"humorous" stories about people losing cars, sheds and houses
recharging them.

Talk to the people down at Temora when they have a model jet
weekend... and ask about the model fire engine which runs around
putting out the fires.

I'm sure that electric and jet have a lot to offer, but before you
discard the 2 stroke, there's at least 90 years of development behind
it and at this stage, there's nothing else which gives the same bang
for the buck.