From: Gary Stevenson <gst...@dodo.com.au>
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
<aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>; GFA Secretary <secret...@sec.gfa.org.au>;
DARYL CONNELL <conne...@speedlink.com.au>; Brett <br...@planetlighting.com>;
Dave Boulter <daveboul...@boulterassociates.com.au>; Dave Donald
<icans...@y7mail.com>; STO Airworthiness <sto...@sec.gfa.org.au>; Gavin Wills
<gwi...@glideomarama.com>; ann...@hwy.com.au
Sent: Wed, 13 October, 2010 10:50:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Jack Iggulden -the end of an era at age 94

Macca,
As you only hint at, there is a huge  amount of gliding history encapsulated in
your few paragraphs, and I  thank you for the information that you have
provided
- fascinating stuff! There  is no doubt that the Igguldens contributed
immensely
to our sport in its  formative days in Australia, and to my thinking it would
be
a very good idea for  the GFA Board to devote considerable effort (and funds),
to getting the Iggulden   story onto National Television, to the benefit of the

gliding movement. A story like theirs is the very stuff that the ABC  thrives
on, so the idea should not be too difficult to sell!

Daryl, are you and the Board up to  the challenge? Jack's death provides a key
-
if you move  NOW.

Ian, I can say that Jack was indeed a published  author. I am certain that all
his work is now long out of print. The only book  of his that I read (many
years
ago), was his novel "The Clouded Sky".  Although it was long ago, I recall that
this was a very powerful work,  that was at least the equal of the best work of
the famed authors, Neville Shute  Norway, and Hammond Innes.

Regards,
Gary