Bravo, Mike, Bravo!

Dave

________________________________
From: Mike Borgelt <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com>
To: p...@kurstjens.com; Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
<aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Fri, 4 March, 2011 8:34:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] proposed windfarms?

At 07:44 AM 4/03/2011, you wrote:

> The item below was in a recent BGA newsletter.
> It details a hazard associated with proposed windfarms, and may also be
>relevant to Australia, if you fly in areas where windfarms are springing up.
>Eyes peeled?
> >>
> (N.B. In the U.K.)  "We understand that anemometer masts have been erected in
>number of areas proposed for use as future windfarms. Others have been erected
>adjacent to but outside current windfarm boundaries. These masts are
>relatively
>thin, and can be difficult to pick out from the air. Being less than 300 feet
>high, they are not required to be lit, or marked on CAA charts, nor to be
>subject to NOTAM. Be vigilant in unfamiliar areas if you are less than 500ft
>above ground level."

If you check Avweb you'll see there was recent fatality due to one of these and
the FAA is being asked why no action. I think it was an ag aircraft so had a
reason for being there.

Wonderful for ridge soaring gliders too.

Ah the wonders of clean, green, safe energy! When the madness has run its
course
there should be one of the useless wind turbines erected near very capital city
to remind the population of the dangers of irrationality. One blade should be
folded back, stationary, with some simulated smoke blackening on the
gearbox/generator. A nice hole in the ground next to it to remind people where
their money went.

Fortunately the worst of the wholesale visual pollution and danger to birds of
these useless energy sinks will be able to be eliminated with a little
plastique
in short order, followed by the extensive network of pissant power lines
necessary to collect the small amounts of energy they do generate when and if
the wind happens to be blowing at the right speed. .

"split atoms, not birds"

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax  Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:  mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com