At 04:23 AM 5/03/2011, you wrote:
Everyone to his/her own.
Soaring must be useless too, as you can only do it in the daytime. Personally, I just try to gather the distance during those daylight hours. Even more useless: For reference, the total home electricity bill for the last ten years has been US$505.74. I'd conservatively estimate a quarter of that is for connection to the grid. 95% of the energy is photovoltaic, sleeping at night like the useless AS-W27 or any of it's predecessors. I wanted to do something and went for it. The cost is far below that of a new car.
Don't just complain, install a cold fusion generator in the garden shed!
Jim

We know soaring is useless.

As you obviously didn't get it the first time I'll repeat "We're talking about powering our technical civilisation not pandering to the eccentric hobbies of the idle rich."

Soaring and solar power are both in that category.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:   mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com