From: Robert Hart
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:49 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Practice hook up procedure

On 20/03/12 19:49, Mike Borgelt wrote:
  At 07:45 PM 20/03/2012, you wrote:

    Hi All,

    After going through the hook up procedures with a trainee I always ask
”is this what you would do in a real emergency?” The answer is always yes.
I reply “what about using the radio – much safer” The GFA manuals should be
brought up to date. The effort for many years was to avoid making the carriage
of a radio in a glider mandatory and all procedures assume a radio is
unavailable.

    Harry Medlicott

  Yep 100+ years after the invention of radio we still use a form of semaphore
using the entire sailplane.

  Great.

  What a pitiful organisation.

I have to disagree here. Whilst using the radio is what we would normally do
(and I discuss this with my students as part of the briefing for a hook up),
having a fall back method is still very important when radio problems in tugs
and gliders are a known issue.

I have experienced far too many radio problems in club gliders (and tugs) to
give up the "whole glider as semaphore" method as a necessary fall back. If we
are about safety - and we are - we need to make sure that we cover known
problems (and radio in gliders/tugs is a known problem).

I would strongly oppose the removal of the current hook up procedures in favour
of a radio only procedure.

--
Robert Hart                                  ha...@interweft.com.au
+61 (0)438 385 533                           http://www.hart.wattle.id.au