I'm not sure what Terry's neighbour was growing... or perhaps he is the president of the local nudist club...

Perhaps some perspective is needed. Outlandings are a normal part of our sport and almost all go well. Expecting the worst is not a good way to build confidence.

In 35 years of X/C gliding I have had my share or outlandings, and I've done a lot of retrieves. I've heard stories about farmers from hell, and I'm sure they exist, but I've never actually met one. The usual reactions I get are curiosity, concern, and the best of cooperation and assistance.

I've had beer, food, lifts, wing runners, help with derigging, hospitality - and I've met some terrific people. Even the mythical "farmers daughter" on one occasion (but perhaps I was dreaming).

I've never damaged anything. Not me, not my glider, no property, no animals. Yes, maybe next time it will happen. I should not speak too soon.

A smile and a friendly explanation goes a long way, I find. And so, I expect, would an up front apology and offer to pay for damage, if it was necessary. I can't imagine the need for police, or lawyers. Or documents in the glove box.

Cheers

 /Tim/

/tra dire e fare c'รจ mezzo il mare/