On 25/03/2012, at 6:42 AM, Tim Shirley wrote:
A smile and a friendly explanation goes a long way, I find.  And so, I expect, would an up front apology and offer to pay for damage, if it was necessary.  I can't imagine the need for police, or lawyers.  Or documents in the glove box.

Like Tim, my outlanding experiences have been uniformly positive.
But in a conservative self centric society, the landowner (now often a 'lifestyler' rather than farmer, can be more demanding; anbd some aviators are also not helpful. Locally, a commercial balloon operator scared horses into fences landing; the retrieve drove past the home to get the rig; this left it to me - the local sport airfield owner - to apologise and carry the illwill.