Mark and Wombat,
The 50 foot rule predates 1986. I dragged out my old instructors manual (the light blue folder one) and that shows a diagram with "50 ft over obstacles" on it in the circuit appraoch and landing section. Also reference to it in the text, in the first paragraph after the heading "Base turning point" is the sentence "If there are obstacles we must ensure that our final approach path clears them by approximately 50ft."

I am pretty sure I had this book by January 1984 (my assistant instructor course) and may have had it earlier. The diagram looks a bit scratchy as if it had been copied from an earlier document(s). I would guess the older green folder instructors manual (from the 70s) had the same illustration, and probably wording.

Regards
SWK