Ah the 50' rule.  It has been around for more years than stated and  has
been a contributing factor in many a prang I bet.  I know of one in the
early 70's where the glider pilot had a predilection and acceptance of the
50' rule, landed over that fictitious obstacle and could not fit into the
outlanding paddock [at Emu Plains].  There was an option of missing the
non-existent obstacle, clear the 4' fence, and land across the diagonal with
40% more landing run!

At the time I landed as close as I dared over a fence at Forbes airfield and
paced out my touchdown to be 220' from the fence.  Critical in a short
outlanding, and worse if one adds and unnecessary 50' at 30:1!

My google-fu found " Douglas Bader, British WWII air ace). Rules are for the
guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools. (Solon, the Lawmaker
of Athens, d. 559BCE)" ... Some unnecessary rules have been around for
millennia.

It may come from an instructor who could gauge that clearance of a fence
because 50' is a soft conversion of a 15 meter wingspan.  Sitting safely on
a chair at the pie cart the instructor can visualize that and use it to
berate the pilot who considered he had a short landing well under control.

But in any event is the rule necessary?  We all know the advantages of not
hitting the far fence at 5 knots over going through the near fence at 50
knots.  Those who don't are not around to tell!

So, clear all obstacles is the key, and land as safely as you can.

Finally, appreciate that the younger set probably have a good appreciation
of metrics, but may not relate to Knots and feet.

My 'two bobs' worth, but you can call it 20 cents.

Alan Wilson
Canberra