On 28/03/2013, at 5:40 PM, Ron Sanders <resand...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Stephen, I am pretty sure that you have got the right answer. The
> issue for Aussies who go there in the future with the new GPC will be to get
> that endorsement or validation on their licence from the authority that
> registered the glider they are going to fly, you are right and that is the
> key.

I think there's a bit of confusion here.

The GPC is not a license.  It is not recognized by any national authority.  You
can't take
your GFA-issued GPC to Europe and expect it to be recognized as an
ICAO-compliant
license.

CASA is in the process of launching a Glider Pilots License.  This one IS an
ICAO-compliant
license.  Will require you to hold a class-2 medical.

If you already have a new ICAO-compliant PPL or CPL (issued by CASA towards the
end
of this year), you can have a glider class endorsement added to it instead of
having two
licenses.  It sounds like CASA will accept the GPC as a proof of entitlement,
so if you have
one it'll probably make the issue of the CASA license simple.  If you don't,
you'll probably
have to jump through some more hoops (or just get a GPC).

The CASA issued license WILL be recognized by other countries.  You'll be able
to front-up
in Italy, show them your CASA license and go through any testing/certification
they require,
and they'll provide you with an Italian (or EASA) license with equivalent
ratings, which will
authorize you to fly Italian-registered aircraft anywhere in the world,
including in Germany.

In the short term, the only ICAO contracting state which won't recognize the
Australian-issued
glider pilot license will be Australia itself.  The license will require you to
follow the GFA's
rules, which (until someone challenges them) will mean you'll have to maintain
your GFA
membership, have GFA annual checks, and fly under GFA authorization -- i.e.,
it'll be utterly
meaningless if you're not travelling internationally, and other countries will
be left scratching
their heads wondering why they're permitting you to fly under the auspices of a
document which,
in your own country, doesn't permit you to fly.

I'll be just itching to see someone push that point until it breaks, and I'm
sure it'll happen
eventually.

  - mark