From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Mike
Borgelt
Sent: Friday, 24 October 2014 3:23 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Press

Gary,

Thanks.

So the finish circle was 3km radius.

What height AGL ?

Mike

At 09:30 PM 23/10/2014, you wrote:

Hi Mike,
As no one else has responded to your quite reasonable query, let me inform
you that Jim Crowhurst did indeed do just that. Details, regarding how it
happened, and damage sustained to the glider are sketchy, so I suggest that
you wait for the official report.
I am pleased to say that Jim did not appear to be physically injured at all
- a VERY lucky man indeed! He was at the wind up dinner, where he was
awarded the Club Class Champion trophy, as reported in the local press
article.
If you have a look at Jim's trace, available on Soaring Spot, I think you
will be able to very clearly see the scenario. Club Class flies dry, and
there was about a 20 kt headwind component on his final glide.
 Jim crashed within the 3 km finish circle, and therefore got both speed and
distance points for the day.
 In accordance with the rules, Jim did not incur a points penalty for
crashing.
I will make one comment - DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES THINK THAT THIS
CANNOT HAPPEN TO YOU. The history of gliding is full of reports of EXPERT
pilots who fucked-up and ended up very dead! BEWARE, and be aware.

Gary

u/story/2642553/amazing-escape/%3Fcs%3D1451&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTE4NTMyMzQ5OTQ
2Mjc4ODEyMDAyHTZiNzMyZjY2MmIzY2FiM2U6Y29tLmF1OmVuOkFV&usg=AFQjCNGOkDYHpvkZar
jgCVD_905ZY7SSHA>
&sa=t&url=http://www.goondiwindiargus.com.au/story/2642553/amazing-escape/%3
Fcs%3D1451&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTE4NTMyMzQ5OTQ2Mjc4ODEyMDAyHTZiNzMyZjY2MmIzY2Fi
M2U6Y29tLmF1OmVuOkFV&usg=AFQjCNGOkDYHpvkZarjgCVD_905ZY7SSHA

Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of quality soaring
instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com <http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/>
tel:   07 4635 5784     overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784                 :  int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia