Peter,

I visited the last Sports/Club Nationals at Waikerie for a few days. On one day there was a very strong wind ~30 knots or so from the WSW and the gliders were finishing almost directly into wind. I witnessed quite a few hasty outlandings straight in to the roughish paddock off the end of the airstrip and one pilot hit a bush with a wingtip and cartwheeled the glider damaging it substantially.

I was surprised to learn that the finish was at 3km and the ground. I mentioned this to the Contest Director to be told that "they all know what to do".

On 3rd feb 2014 I posted this at the end of a post: "Which brings me to: why was the finish line at the recent Waikerie Club and Sports Nationals at 3km radius AT THE GROUND? One glider got badly damaged where this was a likely contributor. One suggestion I heard was 500m over the top of the airfield would be good. 1500 feet would be good also. Some spectator interest then too.

I haven't thought of any problems with this."

And on 15th Feb 2014 this: "How did they score the pilots who finished at the distance but below the minimum height? If you are going to have a minimum height for the finish it may as well be 500M over the top (or 1500 feet) of the airfield. Then it conforms with normal aviation practice and when below 1500 you are no longer racing. No low energy finishes etc. The people who get back with less than 1500 feet are allowed to join for a straight in or on base etc as long as they tell everyone what is happening. It is to their advantage to finish as high as possible though so they won't be blazing in at Vne. Seems it would be safer and even add some spectator interest to the finish."

I've also mentioned the stupidity that was evident at a GP at Narromine in 2008 where a penalty was applied if pilots did NOT do a pull up and circuit. This was to make things more spectacular for the spectators. It nearly was that as I watched two very low energy circuits which had the potential to spin in to the tie down area right in front of the spectators. This was organised by two people who should have known better.

If you are going to displace the finish to avoid the immediate circuit area, displace it UPWARDS to clear the normal powered aircraft circuit. I'm aware that turboprops and jets use greater heights but the thought of dozens of gliders in the circuit usually frightens them away.

A 1500 over the top finish also means that if you find you are falling short you will usually get back to the airfield anyway and you have plenty of opportunity to find another thermal at a safe height. There would need to be a penalty scale for arriving back under 1500 feet.

Something like 1 minute per 100 feet low or somesuch. Pnelaties seem a little wimpish nowadays. I note someone got a 50 point penalty for missing the start line. Should have been no valid start = zero points for the day.

So it seems to me we've had two gliders substantially broken in 10 months from the 3km at the ground remote finish and it was just luck that no real injuries occurred.

It is a REALLY bad idea to have contest rules that cause a conflict between good safe airmanship and a higher score.

One way of avoiding reckless behaviour on the last day would be to scrutineer the gliders after the end of the day and add 1000 points to all scores of pilots who still have a flyable glider.

Now I also wonder if going to the ground 3km short of the airfield can be construed as a "prescribed takeoff or landing procedure". Doesn't look like it to me. In which case it would seem to be in contravention of the CAR about not flying below 500 feet (100feet if ridge soaring).

Mike