On Oct 24, 2014, at 8:10 PM, Mike Borgelt <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com>
wrote:

> Now I also wonder if going to the ground 3km short of the airfield can be
> construed as a "prescribed takeoff or landing procedure". Doesn't look like
> it to me. In which case it would seem to be in contravention of the CAR about
> not flying below 500 feet (100feet if ridge soaring).

MOSP 10.8 at
http://gfa.org.au/operations-1/manuals/672-gfa-mosp-2-ops-0002/file : Descent
below 500’ is permitted under the conditions stated within 5km of the
destination ALA.

Was originally published as an OD several years ago, following agreement with
CASA on the details. The OD was cancelled when the new MOSP was issued.

Note that there’s an expectation that you’re carrying enough energy to fit into
the traffic pattern when you reach the field — which will mean pulling up into
a circuit if you’re arriving downwind, or being able to overfly a runway
obstacle if you’re arriving upwind.  Or, in broader terms, the procedure is
supposed to be executed in parallel with a “don’t be a dickhead” rule.

  - mark