From: hw.medlic...@optusnet.com.au
To: aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:44:33 +1100
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Early X/C pilots

Rolf is right. A DuoDiscus or similar is an easy and pleasant way to fly a
cross country training flight. However not all and probably a minority of clubs
have access to a two seater glider costing perhaps $200,000 new.

Please don’t discount what is achievable in a glider of the capability of
an ASK21 on a moderately good soaring day. At Gulgong we had K7 competitions
with up to 7 X K7s flying and the odd Berkfalke or Blanik.  Without the
benefit of currently available meteorological information, the tasks were in
the
range of over 100 km up to 250 km. Nearly all gliders got around the tasks.
Sure
it took a bit longer with maximum speeds about 60 knots but they were a lot of
fun. These gliders may not go very fast between thermals, but they certainly
feel the lift and climb well.  Pretty useful in a training situation with
an experienced pilot on board.

At lake Keepit we have a data base of airfields and it is possible to set
tasks which keep the gliders pretty close to one. Landing on an airfield either
allows an aerotow or easy retrieve. Distances are not all that huge and
retrieves no great problem with a reasonable trailer.

So please don’t frighten off those clubs or pilots without the latest
and  greatest,

Harry Medlicott