Ive long been a member of Ausnog mailing list, I find the information that is
often posted here to be quite valuable; I have also been watching this thread
with a particular keen interest.

Particularly as I was waiting to see how long the #MeToo and ‘gender diversity’
was going to get pushed.

Firstly let me say, any assault, sexual or otherwise is not acceptable. Yes IT
as an industry is over-represented by males; however to second you start to
include someone in something like a board selection based solely on their
genitalia is the second you loose any credibility. I wholy subscribe to the
idea of the ‘best person for the job’

If that means 25% of one gender and 75% of another then fine, they are all
selected on their merits.

Anything short of selection based on merits (ie: Gender) opens an entirely
different can. Ie: is there someone of Asian/African/Australia/aboriginal/TSI
background? No? wow wouldn’t that be racist?

Suddenly people talk gender and its acceptable.

I believe that IT, Along with many industries still has a long way to go to be
fully inclusive of all participants, regardless of
race/religion/gender/background – but selection based on gender, percentages,
inclusion policies is _not_ the way to get the recognition that some
hard-working people deserve. If I worked in a female dominated industry
(teaching, midwifery, childcare, etc) I would want to be selected for something
like this based on my work ethics, input, and recognition – not simply to be
the token male.

We as an industry – and as humans – should be there to support our colleagues
when they get targeted and victimised, however I also agree that if an
accusation is made, and reported to the ‘other company’ then it should also be
accompanied with proof – too often we are seeing the #MeToo being used as a
weapon to destroy people – predominately men – without a shread of proof.

I do however agree that an ausnog post is not the correct forum for that proof
and that is best handled between the direct parties – it was suggested at the
CEO level – this protects the victim, the *Alleged* (I use this term
deliberately as until it is proof we have due process – innocent until PROVEN
guilty – same as the media reporting on items that are before the courts.)
aggressor until a chain of evidence can be established and only then actioned
upon.

Im sure I will cop back-lash on this, virtue signalling and all…

James Troy

Senior Systems Administration