Chet Ramey <chet.ra...@case.edu> wrote, on 16 Feb 2020:

> On 2/15/20 9:42 PM, Robert Elz wrote:
>
> > Let's design & implement something better, and then have that (eventually)
> > standardised, rather than compromising the standard with this horror.  There
> > is of course, no reason that the shells that have chosen to copy ksh's
> > extension cannot continue to do so, no matter how ugly and difficult it
> > is to do.
>
> OK. Let's start with a proposal. The existing syntax will have to stick
> around for backwards compatibility, of course.

In case you two don't read the teleconference minutes, in Thursday's
meeting we decided to postpone further work on bug 267 for a month to
allow you time to work on this new proposal.

> (The simplest proposal is to replace the ksh/bash/mksh/zsh(?) `time' with
> `ptime' and go from there.)

The new name needs to be something that is unlikely to be in use by
applications or users already.  I think ptime is not a good candidate,
as it is a likely choice for an existing script, function or alias name.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England