On Mon, 24 Feb 2020, Geoff Clare wrote:

Chet Ramey <chet.ra...@case.edu> wrote, on 16 Feb 2020:

On 2/15/20 9:42 PM, Robert Elz wrote:

Let's design & implement something better, and then have that (eventually)
standardised, rather than compromising the standard with this horror.  There
is of course, no reason that the shells that have chosen to copy ksh's
extension cannot continue to do so, no matter how ugly and difficult it
is to do.

OK. Let's start with a proposal. The existing syntax will have to stick
around for backwards compatibility, of course.

In case you two don't read the teleconference minutes, in Thursday's
meeting we decided to postpone further work on bug 267 for a month to
allow you time to work on this new proposal.

(The simplest proposal is to replace the ksh/bash/mksh/zsh(?) `time' with
`ptime' and go from there.)

The new name needs to be something that is unlikely to be in use by
applications or users already.  I think ptime is not a good candidate,
as it is a likely choice for an existing script, function or alias name.

  Almost anything you can think of is probably in use somewhere already.

  My recommendation is 'tm', analogous to 'cp', 'ls', 'mv' etc. (the
  first two consonants of the full word). And, yes, I do have a
  script with that name, but I haven't used it in years, nor am I
  likely to.

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson                         <http://cfajohnson.com/>