Robert Elz wrote, on 16 Jan 2023:

>   | There seems to be some misunderstanding here. The only line we
>   | have drawn is for requests for new features. We will continue to
>   | process bug fix requests for inclusion in Issue 8 for a while yet.
>
> Ah, OK, good.   I thought from:
>
> [This is really Andrew Josey from the minutes of the Jan 12 meeting]
> austin-group-l@opengroup.org said:
> | We are planning to produce draft 3 soon.
> | Once bugs 768, 243 (if accepted), and 1617 (if updated to add -w) have been
> | applied, we just need updated frontmatter to complete draft 3.
>
> | Shortly after the meeting the ISO/IEC ballot got underway to approve the
> | revision project (a separate activity to approving the draft!) Andrew will
> | need to form the IEEE ballot group as the first part  of the IEEE process.
>
> and I recalled earlier mention (which I will never find now) that it was
> planned that Draft 3 be the final draft

I think what you would have seen is something that said draft 3
would be feature-complete, i.e. the last draft in which new
features can be added.

> (I always assumed subject to typo
> corrections, editing mistakes, things forgotten which were supposed to
> happen, etc, if there were any of those, otherwise there'd be no point
> calling it a draft - but I also assumed nothing substantial would change
> after it was published).

This will happen at some point, just not yet.

> I am happy to learn that is not to be the case.   I was slightly surprised
> to see in that quote that the revision project - ie: all that has been
> happening for the past several years, is not yet formally approved.

I assume this was because we were keeping our options open on the
possibility of doing an Issue 7 TC3 before doing Issue 8.

> That means, I guess, that if someone cared enough about changing what the
> text says about uudecode and its handling of setuid bits, that a new bug
> report might get that changed.

Yes.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England

  • Security ris... Alan Coopersmith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Sec... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Alan Coopersmith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Sec... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Alan Coopersmith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Bruce Korb via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Alan Coopersmith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Bruce Korb via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group