On Fri, 2023-01-20 at 20:48 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > IMO it should only be removed if replaced by the base64 utility.
>
> Which of them, GNU base64(1) or BSD b64{en,de}code(1)?
>
> Let POSIX not become a GNU shipping house, please.
>
> Also, uu is standard for clasic eMail attachments. Keep this.

I haven't said removing uuencode/uudecode should be done at all...

And I rather meant that *if* it were ever removed, there should be a
standardised replacement (shouldn't have used base64 as an example,
though) :-)

It's a pity, that the different parties often don't seem to try to
agree on something standardised first, but rather add new base
utilities or functionalities like the shell's "local"... and only
afterwards standardisation is tried (but often fails).

Cheers,
Chris.

    • Re: Sec... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Sec... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Bruce Korb via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Sec... Alan Coopersmith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Bruce Korb via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: Security... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Sec... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: Security... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group