Hello, Paul!

>  1) Have AC_CANONICAL_HOST require AC_PROG_CC, as Ossama suggested.  One
>     problem here is that not all runs of config.guess _do_ require a C
>     compiler, and it's a minor drag that you can't use AC_CANONICAL_HOST
>     without a C compiler; couldn't we write a configure.in for some
>     system that _didn't_ need a C compiler?  Or is that already right out?

Some proprietary systems only have a C++ compiler and they don't require
running any compiler in config.guess

I know a Solaris 2.5.1 system configured this way.

>  2) Not require it, but change the recommended process, in the manual
>     etc., to encourage people to put AC_PROG_CC before AC_CANONICAL_HOST
>     if they're going to use it.

Probably Autoconf can enforce it by using AC_BEFORE

>  3) Have config.guess print a more reasonable error message if it needs
>     a compiler and can't find one; it should try to build the most
>     trivial test program possible, like "int main() { return 0; }", and
>     link and run it; if it doesn't work print something like "can't find
>     a working C compiler; set HOST_CC to a working compiler, or provide
>     a valid host specifier to configure".  Or whatever.

This is a good idea anyway. Autoconf should do its best to supply CC to
config.guess, but if it fails config.guess should be able to raise its
voice.

Pavel Roskin