%% Ben Elliston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  >> BTW this problem doesn't just occur on RedHat Linux boxes without a C
  >> compiler.  I have a RedHat 6.1 box here which has gcc installed, but
  >> only as `gcc' and not as `cc'.  I'm not totally sure how it got this
  >> way since the egcs rpm does have /usr/bin/cc in.  I suspect I built
  >> gcc-2.95.2 from scratch with egcs-1.1.2 and then uninstalled egcs to
  >> make sure that nothing could use it by mistake.

  be> This is a known flaw in config.guess.  I have every intention of
  be> fixing it, soon.  It's crazy that a script of such importance
  be> fails to use `gcc' if `cc' isn't present.

Just a reminder that this isn't good enough: it wouldn't have helped in
the case I mentioned.  The script has to also provide an understandable
error message if _neither_ gcc or cc is present or usable (remember that
sometimes the "cc" program exists, but it doesn't do anything except
print an error, like on a base Solaris system).

 Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Network Management Development