On Mar  1, 2000, Akim Demaille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
Eric> This problem pretty much happens on any machine without a
Eric> compiler installed.  What would be ideal is if config.guess
Eric> didn't require a compiler.

> Can it happen that one needs the information given by config.guess if
> she has no compiler?  I mean, config.guess and Co are mostly used to
> tune compilation stuff (this is my understanding, but I have poor
> knowledge).

It would be nice if, even when config.guess couldn't find a compiler,
it still guessed as much as possible from the unames, even if that
won't enable processor-specific optimizations.  For example, if you
can't compile a x86 or alpha test to detect i686 or alphaev8, just say
i386 or alpha.

--
Alexandre Oliva     http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/     Enjoy Guaranį
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com