I ran a mass rebuild on Fedora for packages that depend on automake with
    this version.

Thank you!!

    Out of 1330 packages built, I found the following failures.

Could be a lot worse!

    NetworkManager
    x2gokdrive
    xorg-x11-server
    Use of uninitialized value $var in string eq at
    /usr/share/automake-1.16/Automake/Variable.pm line 754, <GEN109> line 47.

Any chance you can send the Makefile.am for any of those packages?
Line 754 of Variable.pm is "scan_variable_expansions":

751   while ($text =~ m{\$(?:\{([^\}]*)\}|\(([^\)]*)\)|(\$))}g)
752    {
753      my $var = $1 || $2 || $3;
754      next if $var eq '$';

So I guess something in the variable definition is not being recognized
properly. (And I don't think this has changed, and I also doubt the
Makefile.am's are in error, so it's a bit puzzling.) It would be easy
enough to force it to the empty string and avoid the uninitialized
warning, but it would be nice to understand what's going on.

     ddclient:
     automake: warnings are treated as errors
     Makefile.am:20: warning: escaping \# comment markers is not portable

Indeed, I think ddclient's Makefile.am just needs to avoid \#.
I don't see anything to do on the automake side for that one.

Thanks again,
Karl