On Sun, 30 Jun 2024 at 05:03, Nick Bowler <nbow...@draconx.ca> wrote:

> [...]
>
> autoreconf decides to run libtoolize based on an m4 trace right after
> it runs aclocal, looking for expansion of LT_INIT (or the older
> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL).
>
> This means that for this to work at all:
>
>  (1) a macro definition of LT_INIT must be available at this time, and
>  (2) the LT_INIT macro must actually be expanded directly, and
>  (3) tracing must not be disabled.
>
> Normally aclocal will take care of (1).  Since this tool is part of
> Automake, this is something you have changed in your setup so it's
> plausible this is the underlying cause of your problem.
>
> aclocal works basically by grepping your configure.ac and all the files
> it knows about looking for things that look like macro definitions and
> things that look like macro expansions, and copying in any missing
> definitions.  So for this to work:
>
>   (1.1) aclocal must know where to find the definition of LT_INIT.
>   (1.2) aclocal must see the place where LT_INIT is expanded.
>
> Normally, aclocal and libtool are installed to the same prefix, libtool
> will install its macros into the default aclocal search path, and
> aclocal will find the macro definitions.  If they are installed into
> different prefixes, aclocal will need help, you can use the dirlist
> mechanism (recommended for a permanent installation) or for a quick fix,
> set the ACLOCAL_PATH environment variable to the installed location of
> the libtool macros.

Thanks for explaining this, Nick, and in fact the problem was
self-inflicted as I was installing the prerelease Automake versions to a
different prefix than libtool (and the base automake) without taking steps
to help aclocal find the libtool macro definitions.

After installing Libtool to the same prefix as the prerelease Automake, the
problem disappeared.

Cheers,
Dave Hart