I see that many people here are posting all kinds of issues with loading
external content .While I have no time to write  a detailed tutorial I will
give you guys the following tips:
For 3dsMax users.

   - First better begin with 3ds export from 3DsMax .This is the simplest as
   you don't need to mess around with plugins like opencollada( of you don't
   need animations) or .obj exports which contain those nasty mtls.
   - Make sure that inside 3dsMax you do a uvwunwrap mapping and it is
   desirable that you apply your texture already there and don't forget to put
   it in the relative directory inside your flash project.(Beware 3ds export
   truncates the texture file length for the inner reference so make sure you
   rename the texture file you use in flash accordingly)
   - I suggest then to import the model first into Prefab to see that it is
   ok.Then you can even export it to AWD which is very convenient  for Away3D.
   - Also I suggest checking the demos from Away trunk.

Last but not least you can buy the latest Away3D cookbook which explains
pretty everything one should know on preparing and exporting of external
assets
http://www.packtpub.com/away3d-3-6-cookbook/book
;)

--