@Ringo I'm interested to see what I've come up with too ; ) I'll post
it soon. No Bullet Flash in it yet but that is next.

@Michael which David? There's about 4 regular Dave's on here.

I got my head around (tried to) some multi-fractal solutions like
rescale-and-add and noise synthesis this weekend. They look like good
solutions to handle creating terrain on the fly that can also do LoD,
but how to texture/color them isn't obvious to me. I'm hoping not to
to have to reinvent the wheel here if someone has already got a
working solution.