On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 06:05:44PM -0700, Ángel Alonso wrote:
> [...]
> I don't think so.

Why not? Because it is not as well known as python? In my experience (of
which I have quite a lot), Lua is indeed one of the fastest scripting
languages. Maybe I'm wrong here and it is all placebo, but if you have
some hard facts, I'd really like to see them (not that I want to sound
stubborn, I just want to improve my knowledge).

> [...]
> Not only all is speed, Lua is can be good for configs, yes it is simple,
> but sometimes (like writing the core) the simplicity becomes nasty.
> Sometimes we need a little bit of more functionality.
> [...]

Can you provide some real-world example here? I know, Lua's syntax is
really simple (and I miss the continue statement a lot), but in all the
time I contributed to Awesome (mainly Lua code), it has never prevented
me from implementing something I wanted to have. On the other hand, Lua
has many advantages over C, only some of which are faster prototyping,
duck-typed variables, the table structure, easy inclusion of modules,
and most importantly, the total SLOC of the same problem expressed in C
and in Lua is way less in Lua than in C, which drastically increases
maintainability. It's not all about speed and not all about being 1337
and using C to code every last bit. It's also about ease of maintaining
and ease of understanding the code.

--
GCS/IT/M d- s+:- a--- C++ UL+++ US UB++ P+++ L+++ E--- W+ N+ o--
K- w--- O M-- V PS+ PE- Y+ PGP+++ t+ 5 X+ R tv+ b++ DI+++ D+++ G+

    Gregor Best