On Fri, Aug 27 2010, Uli Schlachter wrote:
Since there is a plan to split up awful, I started with that here. The new widget layouts are called "User(un)friendly Graphic Library for You" (thanks for the idea, Gregor!). Since that name is way too long, we need something shorter. Widgets are now part of the "ugly" library. I also created a "gears" module which is meant to get generic stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere (right now there is just some signal stuff in there). Colors are parsed by "color", but I guess this should be moved to gears.color or something like that.

I don't know if that name is definitive, but FWIW, I prefer positive names.

`awful' was chosen by me because the initial file `awful.lua' I wrote was just a set of functions I had plan to rewrite and split soon (at that time). That thing did not happened, and awful came out where it should never have been released. ;-)

So, just to say I don't like the name `ugly'. If it's for widgets for wiboxes, let's call it `funbox' (for exemple!) because they have fun inside. :-P

At least that's positive. :-)

Of course, all the layouts can themselves be used as widget and so you can stack layouts and widget (a align layout which contains a flex layout in the middle that....).

Sounds really good.

Today I started porting the existing awful "awful" code. The only stuff that is still broken (and that I know is broken) are the taglist and tasklist. I guess it would be easier to rewrite these instead of trying to port them...

Considering how a pile of rewrite them had, that's probable.

Another problem is the systray. Since awesome doesn't render that one, this cant be moved to lua. I haven't figured out how to fix this yet, but I will come up with something. :)

Make it be a "wibox that cannot be drawn on". No?

So, what do you think? Is it worth replacing the existing
widgets code with that?
Sure! ;)

- Cairo only provides functions for reading PNG files, all the other image formats that imlib2 previously handled for us would be no longer readable.

Isn't there a Lua/imlib2 binding? :-)

- No more named colors. Cairo accepts colors as rgb (and possibly a) values between 0 and 1. So black would be 0, 0, 0 and green 0, 1, 0. If we want to be able to parse named colors like "red" and "black", we would need to add an API to awesome that asks the X server about the color and returns the apropriate values. This seems rather pointless and so named colors will be removed instead.

Fair enough.

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <jul...@danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info