Am 28.08.2010 09:52, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27 2010, Uli Schlachter wrote:
>
>> Since there is a plan to split up awful, I started with that
>> here. The new widget layouts are called "User(un)friendly
>> Graphic Library for You" (thanks for the idea, Gregor!). Since
>> that name is way too long, we need something shorter.  Widgets
>> are now part of the "ugly" library. I also created a "gears"
>> module which is meant to get generic stuff that doesn't fit
>> elsewhere (right now there is just some signal stuff in there).
>> Colors are parsed by "color", but I guess this should be moved
>> to gears.color or something like that.
>
> I don't know if that name is definitive, but FWIW, I prefer
> positive names.
>
> `awful' was chosen by me because the initial file `awful.lua' I
> wrote was just a set of functions I had plan to rewrite and split
> soon (at that time).
> That thing did not happened, and awful came out where it should
> never have been released. ;-)

Then... 'the name "ugly" was chosen because I initially planned to split...' ;)
At least "gears" sounds positive enough that it can replace awful.utils.

> So, just to say I don't like the name `ugly'. If it's for widgets
> for wiboxes, let's call it `funbox' (for exemple!) because they
> have fun inside. :-P
>
> At least that's positive. :-)

Just for reference, Gregor proposed "draw". So let's start collecting ideas!
- - Existing modules are named by adjectives, do we want to stick to that?
- - The new name should be related to something visual.
- - If a theme is "beautiful", then using and displaying that theme
  is "beautifuler"? "astonishing"?
- - <INSERT IDEA>

If we want to annoy users, we can call it "Our New Way Of Doing All The
Graphics-Related Stuff That You Will Ever Need And More" or short
"onwodatgrstywenam". Just try to type that name twice in a row.

[..]
>> Another problem is the systray. Since awesome doesn't render
>> that one, this cant be moved to lua. I haven't figured out how
>> to fix this yet, but I will come up with something. :)
>
> Make it be a "wibox that cannot be drawn on". No?

Yeah, my current plan would be some kind of "external window" class. Those
"external windows" are created by the C code and the lua code cannot do much
with them. All that this class provides is three functions:
- - :parent(wibox)
  A thin wrapper around xcb_reparent_window() so that lua can place the window.
  If called without an argument, it returns the current parent.
- - :geometry()
  Works just like the existing wibox.geometry (returns / set the current
  geometry). I'd like this to be relative to (0, 0) of the parent.

Since there is only a single protocol screen and thus a single systray in
awesome master, why a whole class for this? While thinking about ways to handle
the systray, I thought that the same code could be applied to clients. By
default clients are invisible and you have to reparent them to wiboxes to make
them visible. That way wiboxes become the only way to display *anything* (except
a wallpaper and override-redirect windows....).
Let's move titlebars to lua. ;)

Is this an alternative to plan E (or was it plan F?). If yes, let's call it
"plan Z" so that we don't have any letters left that could be used for new
plans.

(Downside: I get to rewrite a lot more code in lib/awful :/)

>> So, what do you think? Is it worth replacing the existing
>   widgets code with that?
>
> Sure! ;)

Great. :)

Should I continue working on this in a separate branch or should I start
breaking master with my weird ideas?

>> - Cairo only provides functions for reading PNG files, all the
>>   other image formats that imlib2 previously handled for us
>>   would be no longer readable.
>
> Isn't there a Lua/imlib2 binding? :-)

Heh, didn't know that. Google says "sure". It provides access to imlib's image
loader, but it doesn't look like you get easy access to the image's data.
Copying an image via get_pixel() sounds slow.

[...]

I just remembered another downside: Shape support is gone. I haven't seen anyone
using it and just removing it was easier than porting it. No idea how hard it
would be to port. cairo does provide image surfaces with 1bpp...

Cheers,
Uli

- --
- - Buck, when, exactly, did you lose your mind?
- - Three months ago. I woke up one morning married to a pineapple.
  An ugly pineapple... But I loved her!