On Sat, Aug 28 2010, Uli Schlachter wrote:
Just for reference, Gregor proposed "draw". So let's start collecting ideas! - Existing modules are named by adjectives, do we want to stick to that? - The new name should be related to something visual. - If a theme is "beautiful", then using and displaying that theme is "beautifuler"? "astonishing"? - <INSERT IDEA>

I'll try to think about it. :-)

Other idea: keep `wibox' name, rename core's wiboxes as something else. That would at least be less confusing for users.

Is this an alternative to plan E (or was it plan F?). If yes, let's call it "plan Z" so that we don't have any letters left that could be used for new plans.

Actually, this is a start of your implementation of what was descrived in plan E. I'm comfortable with that. You'll probably end up with the same functions we have in `next', except that they would be better driven. :-)

Should I continue working on this in a separate branch or should I start breaking master with my weird ideas?

You can merge little things in master if that does not break it and if you are sure they will not need to be reverted if you ever throw your current work.

For the rest, keep your work in a feature branch because I think you'll have a lot of thing to (re)work on.

OTOH, be careful that your feature branch do not become a monster, or you'll cry when merging. So if you can/need, split it in smaller feature that we can decide to merge once at a time.

(in summary: do not do another `next' ;-)

Heh, didn't know that. Google says "sure". It provides access to imlib's image loader, but it doesn't look like you get easy access to the image's data. Copying an image via get_pixel() sounds slow.

Ok, we need to fork it to add a "return argb32 data as Lua string" function? :-)

I just remembered another downside: Shape support is gone. I haven't seen anyone using it and just removing it was easier than porting it. No idea how hard it would be to port. cairo does provide image surfaces with 1bpp...

I won't cry over it.

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <jul...@danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info