Find a generic rc.lua (I can't find a global one, but I'm sure it's
on the disc somewhere, you might try looking online...).  Append:
os.execute("nm-applet &")
somewhere in it and see how that works.  I'm not exactly sure how lua
executes stuff from the OS, but that looks like it's right.  Your real
issue is likely awesome reading *only* your local rc.lua if it's there,
and doesn't fall back to the global rc.lua.

Also, always /always/ /always/ use:
'awesome -k <rc.lua location>'
to check syntax before reloading.  Lua is *very* picky, and awesome
should let you know if there will be any issues when you run the check.

You might also consider putting 'nm-applet &' in your .xinitrc file, but
IIRC, GDM doesn't read that when it loads anything, be it Gnome or
Awesome.  I just start from console using 'startx' so it's been a
while...

Hope that helps.
Noah