On 08/16/2010 04:38 PM, Bill Sun wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:03:43AM -0300, Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Could you investigate what is the value of $DISPLAY after you quit awesome?
>> Also, your .xinitrc might be useful.
>>
>> Vitor
>
> I tried to "echo $DISPLAY" while X is running:
>     the value of $DISPLAY is ":0.0"
> After I killed X:
>     the varible does not exist anymore
>
> My .xinitrc:
>     exec thunar --daemon 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &
>     exec dropboxd &
>     exec xcompmgr -n -Cc 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &
>     exec ck-launch-session awesome
>
> Thanks! :)

Hi bill

Hem, Awesome could not be responsible for your problem, this is purely
an Xorg one, but your .xinitrc could be responsible.

First of all, you shall not use exec in a shell script but for managing
the shell's file descriptor, and the last command (see man exec).
I don't know anything about ck-launch-session, maybe you can try with
just 'exec awsome', and see what happens ?

I always use the kill X server keystroke to terminates the X server
(because I ran awesome in an infinite loop in my .xinitrc), but X is
spawned by GDM, and always restarts on vt7, byt maybe because of GDM.
You may also try Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and see if X accepts to restart on VT7

--
,Cyprien