http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DClD_WnIyD8#t=75s

Look carefully on the bottom of urxvt window between 1:17 and 1:18. Wiboxes that are under it flash lime for a moment. ffmpeg hadn't caught any more than that but widgets go all the way like this when I switch between tags (in general, when something is redrawn on the top of them).
I make wiboxes transparent by setting zero alpha channel to them, i.e.:

local wbox = wibox({ name = wname, bg = '#00FF0000',
height = wheight , width = wwidth })

As you can see, I set the background color of the wibox to... wait... lime! But interestingly even if I change this color to another the flash is still lime.