2012/3/3 Uli Schlachter <psyc...@znc.in>

> On 03.03.2012 22:40, Raphael Fournier wrote:
> > (to the devs: is it really the expected behavior, to have the terms stay
> on
> > a screen, even if its numbers goes from 1 to 2 ?)
>
> WHICH MERE MORTAL DARES TO SUMMON THE ALMIGHTY DEV? *insert evil laughter*

> Let's see...
>
> Function scan() in awesome.c looks for existing windows and does some
> magic.
> Nothing screen-related yet. Each client (which should be managed) is
> passed to
> client_manage(). This function then checks which screen the client is on:
>
>     /* Set the right screen */
>     screen_client_moveto(c, screen_getbycoord(wgeom->x, wgeom->y), false);
>
> So nothing gets moved around. It just stays at the position it was before
> awesome started. (Later, the client layout code kicks in and rearranges
> each
> screen, but each client stays on the screen that it was on when awesome
> started).
>
> And yes, awesome restarting due to a new screen appearing is just a special
> case. So if the new screen is to the right or below existing screens,
> clients
> will stay on the screen they were on previously. If the new screen is
> above or
> left of existing screens, stuff gets shuffles around.

This is the key point I needed to know, thanks. I now understand that it is
a matter of
geometry coordinates on the screen. I was a bit confused because my big
display
receives screen number 1, whether it is set left or right of my laptop (and
I thought
clients would follow screen numbers). I will physically switch my screens
then, so
that my laptop is on the right (which will make clients move to the bigger
screen when
connected).

> If the new screen has a smaller resolution than existing screens, clients
> could
> even be "randomly" distributed between the screens.
>
> I hope that explains what the current behavior is.

Yes, Thank you very much, almighty and worshipped dev!