G'Day Ray,

As a point of introduction, I use awesome for pretty much all the reasons
you note and most have been answered, but I'd like to add that you need not
be put off if you are NOT looking for a tiling window manager.

            I don't often use the advance features - I usually just use
"Floating" most of the time with one app per tag

            Thanks to the lua config I have some applications that
automatically maximize to a "tag" which I then use just like it was on its
own "desktop"

PS: For multiple monitors I played a bit and ended up with a really simply
xorg.conf - Two monitors with a "virtual" desktop of the total area [and you
can even place floating windows so they overlap both screens (not that you'd
really want to)

Regards

Dave

  _____