They are used for the further coordinates obtaining (on OS X the icon sizes are not equal for the buttons and the tabbed pane - please see the screenshot attached to JDK-8151060):

Please see lines 187-189:

 187         Component tc = tabbedPane.getTabComponentAt(1);
 188         x = tc.getLocationOnScreen().x + tc.getWidth() / 2;
 189         c = r.getPixelColor(x, y);

It seems to be a quite reliable way to get the proper x coordinate value here instead of guessing. (we do not need that for Linux and Win.)

Regards,
Alexander