Hi,
> Fast infoset has only two advantages, IIUC. It must have better
> performance it terms of reading and writing and also it should be
> smaller in size to the XML the that it represents.
Well.. Depending on the performance of the FI encoder & decoder it
might even be slow in terms of reading and writing...

> Even though gzip compresses data, what it gives to the application is an
> XML. There won't be an advantage over gzip in-terms of compression when
> we use binary xml,
I don't understand why... There will be an advantage if the
compression is better than the encoding of FI..  Resulting message
size can be smaller depending on the content.. (I'm not a expert in
compression, but this is how I feel).

In the real transmissions over the net, message size can become the
crucial factor for speed.

>but binary xml should perform better when it is
> serializing and de-serializing. Being them in binary format has no
> advantage except some one being not able to see them in a text editor.
IMHO it has an advantage.. AFAIK FI puts it's indexes using integers,
which can be represented much efficiently using a binary format than
using a text format..

IMHO eventhough it's less efficient than GZIP it will still be
valuable, in order to support transports which do not support GZIP..

thanks,
Thlina

Thilina Gunarathne  - http://thilinag.blogspot.com