Sanjiva

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
- First of all, Asankha, why "synapse-transports.jar"?? That makes no sense to me- so if you have a bug in the VFS code you'll rev all the stuff? Why? There should be one jar per transport. Yes, lots of jar files but so what?

- Asankha, you seem to think that the only place transports that Synapse finds interesting are being done is in Synapse. What about CORBA? The code is in Axis2 (and Eranga is still waiting for his commit rights to come thru to finish that off) and of course supporting CORBA is very interesting for Synapse. So you're not solving whatever problem you perceive by saying "keep everything I care about in Synapse."

- I agree with that Axis2 transports should NOT be in the kernel jar. Can we finally agree (forget the history please) to that now and create new maven modules for each transport and put each one into its own jar? This is for the transports that are (or will remain) in ws/axis2.

- Given that these transports are usable by anyone building on Axis2 (and not just Synapse) and that they depend on Axis2 APIs, I believe they should be in a project which releases those transports against given versions of Axis2 APIs. My preference is that it should be in ws/commons/transports or a new sub-project called ws/transports. Asankha, what problem do you see in that approach? I think everyone would +1 you being the RM for this project ;-).
+1 to all above
- How about the following compromise position:
- we create a new ws/transports project and move http and any other transports out of axis2 into that.
  - we kill the old NHTTP and JMS tranports in axis2
+1, lets get someone from Axis2 to do this as the first step. I will not be able to work on this at least into the next few weeks..
  - move JMS and SMTP out of synapse into the new project
- as a general rule, if Axis2 and Synapse are both going to ship the transport in their default distros, then we move the code here - for other transports we strongly encourage people to put them here to enable easier wider use - this project publishes each transport as a separate jar with a naming convention that identifies the axis2 (API) version it corresponds to. of course trunk will correspond to trunk as always
+1, Will move out the non Synapse specific transports into the new module once the above project is created, and Axis2 moves out its http/s..
- I'm ok with going one step further and even moving the Axis2 transport APIs into the project and for Axis2 to just use them. This is like what Axis2 does with Axiom for example.
I maybe wrong.. but I don't see this as required or gives us additional benefits..

asankha