I don't see that as a good reason to move these API classes into
kernel. In fact, in my opinion that makes things more confusing. I
think keeping these things separate is cleaner, easier to understand,
and more reusable. Another thing to understand is that these are API
classes which are far more stable then rest of the Axis2 code.
Therefore, they should really have their own releases separate from
Axis2 releases (something we do in Geronimo). Also, like Dims said, in
Java 6 these API classes are provided by the JVM, so why would you
want to have these classes in the kernel jar even though they will not
be used at runtime (unless you want to start creating Java-specific
versions of the kernel jar).

On related note, at one point I suggested moving all the Axis2 API
modules (saaj-api, jws-api, jaxws-api) into Geronimo (into specs). I
still think that's a good idea and maybe it would be good to
reconsider. As I mentioned before, there is no good reason why these
modules should be compiled everytime you build Axis2 and there is no
reason to release these modules with each Axis2 release. And if we
move these API modules into Geronimo specs, these modules could nicely
be reused in a number of other Apache projects such as CXF, Geronimo,
Harmony, etc.

Jarek