Hi David,

Please see my comments in-line.

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:06 AM, David Illsley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> OK, I haven't discussd my thinking yet, so here goes.
>
> IMO the WS project is a disparate collection of stuff. This leads to:
> a. A lack of a coherent community

I agree with this point. Thats why I agreed to the idea of TLP, at last
(thanks to Ajith and Ruchith ;) )

> b. A tough job for users to get what they want from the WS project

I'm not sure what you meant here. But what is so difficult for users? May be
I'm wrong as I am wearing Axis2-dev hat and not the user hat.

> I think that Axis2 and related technologies would be better served as
> a TLP which gathers just related technologies together. This should
> encourage a coherent community within the TLP, and making a TLP level
> decision to, for example, ship an Axis2 RSP bundle with Rampart and
> Sandesha pre-configured - the lack of whih is something I'm sure if
> hurting Axis2 at the moment,

Totally agree.

> Given those thoughts, in my perfect world, I'd split Axis2/Java and
> Axis2/C into different TLPs as they do have pretty different
> communities (user and dev).
>
> As to which Java based projects I'd ship to Axis2/Java and which I'd
> leave in WS...
>
> Axiom... leave in WS and promote to a proper sub project. It has a lot
> to give, but is currently very effectively hidden from users. I think
> this would continue to be the case if it were moved under an Axis2
> TLP.

It has lot to give, agree. But by moving that in to Axis2, will that be
hidden more? With Google, it is hard to hide something. Search for "XML stax
object model", "XML object model", etc. You will see Axiom in first 5 links.
If you use some other keywords, if Axiom is not coming up, then we need to
improve our Axiom page with SEO techniques, which I think is a different
question.

So I don't think there is a visibility problem. Its all about, how famous
and effective it is than the URL or the location.

> Neethi... last time I looked, it was only really useful when used with
> Axis2, so I'd move that to an Axis2 TLP

+1

> WS-Commons Transports... These are genuinely used by multiple TLPs and
> there is unlikely to be much 'user' interest in this project because
> we'll presumably ship them as part of Axis2 and Synapse. Therfore I
> don't think it matters much, so staying in WS seems reasonable.

I'd rather push these in to Axis2 TLP.

> XmlSchema... leave in WS and promote to a proper sub project. Used
> widely, not Axis2 specific, and deserves a little more visibility.

I'm 0- on this.

> Sandesha2, Rampart, Kandula2, Savan... move to an Axis2 TLP. These are
> (reasonably) tightly coupled to Axis2, drive Axis2 in interesting ways
> and are in demand by a large number of Axis2 users. Moving them to an
> Axis2 TLP would (IMO) allow that PMC to ship a compelling bundle and
> build a coherent community.

+1

Thanks,
Chinthaka