It seems as though you haven't looked hard enough for these answers.

#1 - I have been able to avoid all the Exception trouble you mention by simply creating a beanMapping for my custom exception.

#2 - Easy. Create a typeMapping for your array and call it whatever you want.

#3 - This just isn't true. I have many Boolean fields defined. Watching the debugger I can plainly see that they come in as null if not provided.

#4 - Valid. There's only so much time in a day?

Another point: I have been able to use the java2wsdl tool without modifying the wsdl at all. Of course, it depends on your needs. I have been able to easily create a wsdl of my liking by simply creating the neccessary delegate objects. I have yet to run into any trouble with wsdl creating I couldn't get around.