El lun, 08-01-2007 a las 16:10 -0600, vamsee movva escribió:
> Yes, i agree with you, we can use same jar files on 64-bit machine.
> then what is the point using 64-bit machines, i think if we use the
> same 32-bits jars , we won't get any change in performance.

It all depends on the underlying platform and the actual JVM
implementation, but some things come to mind: faster 64-bit integer
arithmetic (think long variables, which are 64-bit wide); access to
larger memory space; potentially more CPU registers available to the
JVM, which might lead to faster execution speed (on AMD64, compared to
i386); etc.

You can expect the 64-bit version of a vendor's compiler to generate the
exact same bytecode (.class, .jar, whatever) than its 32-bit
counterpart. The compiler just turns your source code into platform
*independent* bytecode.