AFAIK 1.2 release will also be done using maven1 build. But we will
upload the artifacts to maven2 repository too...

Is Maven2 support expected to be added anytime soon?
It's there, but not 100% complete...
If no, is there any way for this to be compatible with the rest of my
project that uses Maven2?
You can use maven2 safely by pointing to the axis2 maven2 repo..[1]..
I know quite a number of axis2 dependent maven2 build projects like
Apache Synapse, Apache Rampart, WSO2 WSAS etc....

Thanks,
Thilina

[1] http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org/apache/axis2/
--