> Is it possible to run this client in the Java SDK 1.4.x environment?
yes.
> Previously, I believe there have been discussions on this forum that only 1.5
> is >supported.
Axis2 has few modules which depend on JDK1.5... But they don't get in
your way unless you want to do something really specific like using
JAXWS, JAXBRI etc.

> 1) Is backward compatibility with older versions of Java 2 SDK being
> considered >for newer releases of Axis 2?
According to the discussions that happened on the mailing list lately,
most likely Axis2 will maintain compatibility with JDK 1.4 in the
coming releases too.
> 2) Is there a workaround that can be tried for Axis2 1.2?
As I said above, it depends on what you want to do.. Almost all the
normal Axis2 usages will run on jdk1.4..

Following are the current list of features that depend on JDK 1.5.
jaxbri, metadata,saaj-api,saaj,jws-api,jaxws-api,jaxws,clustering.

thanks,
Thilina

Thilina Gunarathne  - http://thilinag.blogspot.com