Jeff,

I can answer some of your questions with the caveat that all my work is
based on POJOs (plain old java objects) as Web services.

The <operations> element just lists the services.   There are things you
can do on a per-operation basis and that is given in the XML schema at
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/kernel/resources/services.xsd?view=markup

 (note the schema may not be complete but it is close).

You can exclude public methods by using <excludeOperations> element.

Nadir K. Amra