Andreas Veithen wrote:

Moving to Java 1.5 doesn't necessarily mean to abandon support for Java 1.4. I am currently working on a project for a company that still uses Java 1.4 (and I think there are lots of them). We needed a library to generate MS Project files, but the only one we could find was from an Open Source project that migrated to Java 1.5 a few releases ago. The code in this library makes use of generics and has a dependency on JAXB 2. What we did was to use retrotranslator (http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/) to translate the library as well as its dependencies (including JAXB 2) back to Java 1.4. The tool operates at bytecode level and supports all Java 5 constructs (generics, enums, annotations, etc.). It also emulates the most important parts of the Java API. We were able to use the library to generate MS Project XML files on a Java 1.4 VM without any problems, meaning that retrotranslator successfully backported the JAXB 2 RI to Java 1.4! There is also a plugin (retrotranslator-maven-plugin) that allows to generate Java 1.4 artifacts during Maven builds. Maybe this could be an option for Axis2?

Sounds like a great idea to me, Andreas. If Retrotranslator can handle JAXB 2 RI it should be able to deal with everything used by Axis2 and related projects. The features which are not supported should be easily avoidable.

 - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA and Web Services in Java